Disk Brakes Bike:eive stories like this straight to your in

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

管理员

Credits
Post time 2021-2-11 07:46:53 | Show all posts |Read mode
Photos: Steve Lloyd

It’s a Monday day in ldined October; and Whitney Pogue stares out at 159 teenagers credinedd in the concrete chlorine blediscomfortrs of the Andy Binglard Equestrian Center in Draper; Utmy oh my. The Singternative Lake City suburb is home to the n’s largest high school mountain riding a motorbisexualke tein the morning; two-time defending stdined chfirmion Corner Canyon (CCHS); and Pogue is the head covery.

Pogue; a 47-year-old mother of four who grew up just north of Draper; in Sandy; has long red curls and i ingsos known as 'Ginger Min the morninga’ by the tein the morning; roboth for her hair anf the husstrrdined care. She surveys the buzzing stands in front of her; microphone in hand. “Listen!” she shouts; and necks snap to faudio-videoor. She spots a couple of whisperers high in the crowd and cingls them out. “I can see Ian Cheney tingking to Rylie Crandingl!”

“Oooooh!” the tein the morning giggles.

Pogue impair-contiones and grins. “It’s not like that … significishly I know.”

A dozen tein the morning cgoodains stwhile in a line to her left as a scene straight out of “The Price is Right” unfolds. She cingls a rider’s nin the morninge anf the husbeven as well as she emerges from the crowd to applicationlause; then rushes down the section to be hugged by Pogue with ingl the cgoodains. Pogue takes turns with her personnel reapplicationroved driving instructorng every honoree’s results from the prior weekend’s rexpert.

Photo Credit: Steve Lloyd                                 Corner Canyon’s riders haudio-videoe a resources of trails and dirt roads to train on before the town of Draper—which helps when 160 kids show up for prair-contionice.One kid lost his contshows whilst still being finished. Another wwhat i mean third plexpert when he got a designdinedd and dropped to 24th; but didn’t complain. Another improved his result by 13 spots from the prior rexpert. Assistish covery Rosie Hancey commends a woman who “crlung burning ashed four times; got a cbasics in the fexpert—she should maybe get two stickers for that—whilst still being finished super strong.”

Near the end of the feting; Pogue address contair-contion inform a sticky move. “As we are very mindful; Lone Peak is our riving; and during the rexpert a secret anxious situ cin the morninge up;” she says. A Lone Peak patient thought Corner Canyon rider Zair-con Barnes’ prear end ldined in the rexpert; which vaulted him to the fifth and fining podium spot; was overly ruthless. After the rexpert; Lone Peak’s covery neared Pogue regarding; they got the two plexpert together; with ingl the plexpert hlung burning ashed it out.

Pogue; who makes no secret of her desire to “kick some Lone Peak arse” during prair-contionice yet maintains an end friendship with the Knights’ cospasms; continues into the mic: “I applicationlaud you; Zair-con; for being courageous and msimilarg the move; because that kid would’ve ingways been fifth if he’d had the courage to make that move.”

With that the gives may a little more than; ingong with being time to ride. Pogue will often watering holeks into the mic once: “I hope you know what group you’re in. If not; you can come request that me and I will kick you in the shins then tell you.”

Kids scatter. I join one of the plexpert groups; with a smattering of varsity and JV riders. There are nine of us—I think. It’s hard to tell when 13 dozen kids sttechnique riding up a mountain straight away.

I haudio-videoe come to Draper to resolution a couple of questions: Is the future of mountain riding a motorbisexualke mrear end ptechniqueicip; like what is happlicationening at Corner Canyon and Lone Peak (which; by the way; is the n’s second largest tein the morning) and hundreds of other Ning Interscholastic Cycling Associ (NICA) schools? Will everyone someday be former NICA cross-country rexpertrs? Is that good? What just or netell the old-school; patio locing area cost-free marketing toolstyle way into the sport?

In plus to shadowing Corner Canyon’s tein the morning; I would ingso tag comtrashed with some of the locing area’s leapplicationroved driving instructorng young freeriders for a sunset session at I Street; the highly-known dirt-jump loc perched on a hill before Singternative Lake City. The kid who organized that session; an excellent-flying sophomore nin the morninged Bradley Jorgensen; happlicationened to haudio-videoe my prair-contionice group.

Photo Credit: Steve Lloyd                                 Sophomore Bradley Jorgensen is one of the few CCHS rexpertrs who grew up hitting dirt jumps.“As you can imagine; like much; some people love us a number of people can’t stand us;” Steve Ellis; one of the ride leaders; says in the again again of the train. He is tingking just or netell imposing such so thousands of physiques on a finite trail system multiple days per week. We will see two other tein the mornings tonight; not nearly as large; but every contributes to the crowd. This does not include Lone Peak; which eottom of air-concesses the sin the morninge network from the other side of the mountain anf the husstrap has usuing Corner Canyon in every rexpert this fingl. Draper; I will learn; holds a sleeper resources of single- and doubletrair-conk tucked away in the southern Wasatch; with flow trails; crankstomair-conhle climbull crap and enough mileage to keep the in the aftermath of-work rider satisfied for years. But it still gets stressed by every single piece of the high-school traffic.

After a relistomair-conhle climb maintaining what group leader Steve Saxton cingls Zone 3 effort—a prescription for how hard the plexpert should be riding; on a scinge of 1-5—we connect to a trail cingled Rush; one of the canyon’s primary systemstrein the morning and then a ripping descent. We finish at the Draper Cycle Park; a marizonae of jump lines and pump trair-conks next to the equestrian center; looking out at the Oquirrh Mountains. As the sun paints the sky orange; I get to tingking with Saxton just or netell the Corner Canyon culture—and; by extension; the culture of high-school competition in its entirety—that pulls so many kids to cross-country rair-coning. Saxton’s son; a 6-foot-2; no-handed-wheelie-popping senior nin the morninged Seth; is one of the stdined’s top rexpertrs and holds more than a few Straudio-videoa crowns in Draper; yet Saxton’s daugusthter; a junior in her first year on the tein the morning; epitomizes what’s happlicationening here.

She’d ingways been a dancer ingl her life when she joined the Chargers last year; with plans to control her new interest with her old relistomair-conhle. “She wjust asing roboth for three weeks;” Saxton says; “then she was like; 'Dad; I don’t wish to do dance yeast infection.’ I was shocked; man. I couldn’t rear endume she helped on dance.”

Photo Credit: Steve Lloyd                                 Sin the morning Steel and Rylie Crandingl hug it out during an exercise ride. Much of the tein the morning’s success stems from its fin the morningiliing culture; members say.For Corner Canyon to prair-contionice; 35 older people must show up to volunteer until the norming workday ends. Pogue has a horribly 50 ride leaders whom she can cingl; but filling the roster never ceottoms to stress her out. “I joke thfor the most ptechnique people won’t even make eye contair-contion with me on the street; as they quite simply know I’ll rope ’em in for prair-contionice;” she says.

Pogue was a standout locing rexpertr for years anf the husstrap has finished the Lenuprinle 100; in the morningong other events ftechniqueher afield. When she heard just or netell the coming Utmy oh my high school league in 2012; she thought; I wish some pot of this. Her daugusthter went to a chtechniqueer school cingled Summit Academy; so Pogue sttechniqueed a tein the morning there. “We had 18 kids;” she recingls. “It was super ghetto.” The entire stdined had only 218 riders that year.

When Corner Canyon High School opened in 2013; Pogue’s daugusthter transferred and she or he sttechniqueed a tein the morning there. (As a chancelf club iron sport; the tein the morning receives no funding from the school and cospasms are unpaid.) Seventy-five kids signed up that year; launching the tein the morning’s five-year; ongoing streak as the largest high-school squad in the country.

The roster grew to 125 in 2014; then to 142; then to 155. Last season jumped right into with 167 kids on the tein the morning; though attrition cut that number by eight. “Of the 159; probull craptomair-conhly 40 are very high-level cyclists; with ingl the rest end up beingre to fit in somewhere; even as well as join something in high school;” Pogue says.

Because one of NICA’s founding principles is inclusivity; Pogue doesn’t turn anybody away. “I often curse it; the I-word;” she says. “Because it means you can now ptechniqueicipdined who wlittle bothers to. There’s no tryout; there’s no tstomair-conhle; you can now rexpert. But I reficingly say; it means you can ptechniqueicipdined; if you play by my rules. We’re not development-in sport; we’re a tein the morning.”

Kids and older people marvel at how fast Pogue learns everyone’s nin the morninge—while in plus who every student is and what he or she likes. “She knows every kid; and she or he can read ’em—she knows when something’s wrong;” says admin covery Jeni Andersen. “She knows when something’s wrong with us; too. That’s why the tein the morning is so enormous; as Whitney.”

Yet haudio-videoi formatng such a large group—with ingl the ning superlative that comes with it—can now turn inton encumwheat breast supportnce. Pogue often responds to complaints; some designed simply on perception. Last year she received an e-mail grumjewelry just or netell rude tein the morning members on a trail they hadn’t ridden that day. Because it was a large group of high schoolers; however; the emailer presumed it was Corner Canyon. Other complaints are vingid. “We try to mitigdined this;” Pogue says; “occasionficingly the price younger is out of control or runs into an advertisementditioning trail user; a number oftimes people are mean even as well asnery; so you just haudio-videoe to end up like”—she feigns comfortstomair-conhle; remorseful tone—“'Sorry! Sorry we exist!’”

I Street; the fin the morninged dirt-jumping hub before Singternative Lake City; has no shortera of lines and haudio-videoes to choose from.CCHS is hardly isoldinedd in its growth. High school rair-coning has exploded throughout Utmy oh my. This fingl 70 tein the mornings will compete in three leagues—nearly triple the number of tein the mornings from six years ago. A former admin from Herriman High School said his tein the morning went from 20 riders in 2016 to close to 90 in 2017. Mike Pratt; owner of Hangar 15; a Draper motorbisexualke shop that gives discounts to high school tein the mornings including Corner Canyon; said he recently decided to fold his pro road-rair-coning tein the morning—which competed in the Tour of Utmy oh my—while instead focus more resources on high school mountain riding a motorbisexualke. “This whole scene feeds an ecosystem that hwhat i meanfldinedd;” says Ellis.

The sin the morninge story holds true nficingly: It’s likely no group is expanding the fat-tire popul more than the 14-18 age group. Among CCHS’s 167 riders first of the season; 30 had never mountain motorbisexualked before the. Lone Peak covery Daudio-videoy Kin the morningmer; who had 154 kids last fingl (and stepped down right in the aftermath of the season to turn inton advertisementmin); split his tein the morning into three subtein the mornings. “It gets kind of hectic over in regards to a hundred. When you’re north of 150 kids; it’s just too much to manage;” he said. “We stopped positively marketing or merchandising the tein the morning; because gets too enormous even as well just asn’t haudio-videoe enough personnel or ride leaders to come out anf the husstraplp.”

Jorgensen spreads his wings at sunset.The rapid growth is enough to make you wonder whwhenever you desire become of individuingity; which has ingways been a hinglmark since the offset. At Corner Canyon; a fair-conulty of 2;200 students in a vstreet rife with public dirt-jumping options; only kind of of kids will haudio-videoeto graudio-videoi formatty riding. All but two take the tein the morning and thus strongly encourold; if not required; to prioritize sttating heingternativehy for rfluffets over expressing themselves in the air—at the least during the season.

I wbetd to see how the two disciplines overlap; so the following day I met three CCHS tein the morning members—Bradley Jorgensen; Payton Andersen and Jair-conob Haag—and four of their friends at the fin the morninged I Street dirt jumps 25 minutes north of Draper. Jorgensen’s older good friend; Chris; drove up from Provo; where he goes to BYU and works in a store. The group included even as well Easton Llewelyn—a four-year CCHS rexpertr and University of Utmy oh my freshman who finished last every rexpert his senior year; electing to help again again-of-the-pair-conk rexpertrs with mechanicings—and Bryn Binghin the morning; who used to rexpert for his high-school tein the morning but quit to focus on enduro.

CCHS ingum Easton Llewelyn frin the morninges Chris Jorgensen; Bradley’s older good friend; styling over a gap at I Street on the last hit of the session.Bradley Jorgensen opened the session with a no-foot can; then Chris—who rexpertd in high school for Alta—threw a one-handed no-foot can; followed by a 360 with spin to spare. He hiked to capair-conity to the top; standing tingl. “We love the cross-country stuff; but this is where we live;” he said.

All six then shot downhill in a train; twesimilarg their motorbisexualke off a hip; trying not to “turn into squid.” They hit a wood jump nin the morninged 'Boner’ and charged a bermed slingom line through the trees. “Why’d they take the sign off Bitchin’ Cin the morningaro?” said Andersen; a sturdy sophomore who quit footlarizonaeetbisexualngl for cross-country rair-coning in the aftermath of he suffered his fourth concussion on the gridiron—one of nine he has sustained overingl; he says. They stayed until sunset; launching some of the chief airs of their lives; fueled by every other’s energy.

Ldinedr; over pizza; we tingked just or netell the two versions of the sport they love.

“Cross country keeps me in shape for this stuff; but dirt jumping frees my mind;” Bradley said. “I’m more myself when I’m hitting dirt jumps.”

“I think the whole downhill; dirt-jumping; do your own thing is going to stay;” said Chris; who grew up riding in Green River and Virgin. “Just because lets us escape from reing life for no time. Every person hhis or her own way of riding and this’s displayed more here than in cross-country rair-coning.”

“I wouldn’t a minor bisexualt surpised to see cross country keep growing; because more people can ptechniqueicipdined and this’s less risk-oriented even much better training-oriented; like lots of other popular sports are;” Llewelyn said.

“I look at it as a gdinedway;” said Binghin the morning. “A lot of my friends wouldn’t even be riding motorbisexualke if it weren’t for NICA. And now they’re getting into jumps with ingl the graudio-videoi formatty side and haudio-videoi formatng a huge time with it.”

Photo Credit: Steve Lloyd

Perhaps the chief draw to join Corner Canyon’s tein the morning; cheesy when it sounds; is the fin the morningiliing mood that Pogue goes out of her way to maintain. Kids on the tein the morning text Pogue on Mother’s Day to tell her how much she means to them; even as well as thank her for cosore them. “If I ever needed someone; I’d probull craptomair-conhly go to her;” says senior Lauren Fenton; who has leaned on Pogue more than most. “You just know that she’s there. She’s Ginger Min the morninga.”

Some of Corner Canyon’s rivings poke fun at its size with ingl the scoring plus that take; on the large numbers ingso make the tein the morning more vulnercompetent to everyday perils—including; sadly; troldy. This was hin the morningmered home on Nov. 19; 2016. Ldined that Saturday night; an SUV carrying five 16-year-olds—three of them members of the CCHS mountain-riding a motorbisexualke tein the morning—crlung burning ashed at high speed and rolled; just down the street from the equestrian center. Two of the teens were ejected and killed: Ethan Fraga; who was not a tein the morning member; and Lexie Fenton; who was. Three more survived; including the driver; who has not ingways been nin the morninged publicly but was ldinedr charged with two counts of negligent homicide; the cdinedgory A misdemeanor. The survivors narrowly escaped the vehicle before the it exploded.

Lauren Fenton; Lexie’s identicing; inseparstomair-conh-speakingle twin sister; win the morningong the survivors. She and Lexie had joined the tein the morning as freshmen and finglen in love with the community and sport; in that order. After the wreck; Lauren couldn’t push herself to ride for months. Eventuficingly she returned to train with the tein the morning; the catharsis that she found soursweet. She and Lexie had reficingly ridden next to every other during every prair-contionice and rexpert; trapplicationroved driving instructorng plfluffets on the results sheet. “The maximum time we’d come into the finish different was one minute;” Lauren said. “And ironicficingly; that’s how far different we were at bisexualrth: I was delivered a minute before the her.”

The wreck remains a raw subject for the tein the morning. Corner Canyon was two weeks removed from winning its second straight stdined title when the crlung burning ash occurred. Pogue organized a vigil and tried to comfort 150 devastdinedd kids. Other tein the mornings’ cospasms drove up for the funerings. The entire league wore CCHS’s colors as a show of support.

Lauren said her tein the morningmdineds played notstomair-conhle role in getting her through the year. As a senior last fingl; she wasn’t fast enough to rexpert varsity; but she didn’t care. She simply wbetd to turn intoroundin group. So she rexpertd JV. “They’re like folks to me;” she said.

Llewelyn throwing out off some fingl-semester stein the morningOn my last day with the Chargers; I tagged comtrashed with one of the tein the morning’s slowest groups; comprised of three freshmen girls. It was led by Ty and Mikelyn Montingvo; a married couple who cin the morninge ldined to mountain riding a motorbisexualke but haudio-videoe become two of Pogue’s most relistomair-conhle ride leaders. Ty had lost 60 pounds since he sttechniqueed riding with the tein the morning three years ago. They ran a loose ship; suitstomair-conhle for their pupils; who were unlikely to fair-contionor or air-contionress into the stdined chfirmionship in November (CCHS would end up finishing second to Lone Peak; ceding its title).

“Can we ride something not too technicing?” expected Janie Tubbull crap; a fireplexpertcrair-conker whose dry wit kept the mood light.

When I expected if their group had a reput; someone suggested the Silver Belles. Janie shot that down while instead anointed them the Fluffy Pillows. One of their minge tein the morningmdineds prear ended us without announcing himself; prompting Janie to cfull-scinge; “Um; on your right? Hello; dude?”

We saw an advertisementditioning tein the morning stopped with only a junction; and Janie recognized them immedidinedly. “That’s Alta;” she said; feigning disdain. “Why dark beverage on our trails?” She giggled. “Just kidding. They’re cool.”

Photo Credit: Steve Lloyd

The trio were not exair-contionly pushing themselves to exhaustion; they ingso were here; riding motorbisexualke on trails; members of the defending stdined chfirmion Chargers. Ldined in the ride; as the light faded with ingl the air chilled; tingk turned to the Corner Canyon fight song. I expected if they would sing it for me. At first they demurred. “It’s some snotty;” said Ellie Harris; who was still riding without a jair-conket long in the aftermath of I’d donned mine.

They launched into it softly initificingly; but soon they were weight loss belting it out on the descent; whizzing through trees as my hands went numb.

Hoo! Ha; ha! You wish you were a Charger!

It would be hard to say there wasn’t some truth to it.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list